Who is Pearl Pearson?
Pearl is a 64 year-old diabetic deaf driver who resides in the Oklahoma City area.
What’s the story?
At this time, only limited details can be provided since this case is under investigation.
1. The Oklahoma Highway Patrol pulled Pearl over late in the evening on January 3, 2014. Pearl pulled over as he should.
2. Pearl’s driver’s license indicates he is Deaf. He also has a
visor card inside his vehicle that says, “Driver is deaf”.
3. During the police encounter, Pearl was struck by officers.
4. An interpreter was never provided while Pearl was under the care of law enforcement — not during the booking, hospital, or while at the jail, even though Pearl requested one.
5. Pearl does not understand why he was struck. Pearl and his family are still not sure, but are ready for some answers.
6. Pearl’s own son is a police officer, as was his son-in-law, who is now a deputy sheriff. He respects law enforcement and knows how to respond when pulled over. There is no reason for someone like Pearl to be hurt like this by those who are meant to protect and serve.